Friday, September 17, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to Temple of Leaves.

It's my first day in southern France, and already I'm inspired.

I'm at La Muse, a writers' and artists' retreat in run by Kerry Eielson and John Fanning in Labastide-Esparbaïrenque, a tiny medieval village tucked away in the Black Mountains. I'm ostensibly here to paint, but I've already confessed to John that I'm really working on giving shape to a nebulous dream of mine--to create beautiful, peaceful sanctuaries in places that need them. Refuges from the clamor and whir of everyday life. Retreats both tangible and ethereal. Spaces where one's thoughts can be heard, vital conversations can be had, and dreams can take shape.

The door opens; the quest begins...



Click here to share your thoughts and suggestions about your own favorite places.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Again, love your photos, Kerrie! That one of Erato looks like the entrance to something out of Tolkien...

By the way, one of my favorite places/spaces:

Arainn Mhor, West of Ireland: http://www.aranislands.ie/Inis-Oiir/inis-mor-island

Ivo Fravashi said...

Why, I believe I've been to Inis Mor. Ireland is one of my all-time favorite countries. Nealry all of it is spiritual--to me. As I said, I should have been born a Grainne.

The Tolkien-like effect is thanks to you. Reminds me of one of my favorite Tolkien quotes: "Not all who wander are lost."